[cups.general] Controlling font and print quality for

Tim Boring tboring at adw1.com
Tue May 10 07:45:21 PDT 2005

Hi!

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 08:58 +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On May 9 14:27 Tim Boring wrote (shortened):
> > We're using CUPS on a new Linux (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server
> > v9) box
>
> In this case you should have a support contract with Suse.

I bought a maintenance contract; is that considered the same thing as a
"support contract"?  I opened a support ticket on the portal
(portal.suse.com) last week for another issue and haven't had any
response.  That's why I didn't bother posting another issue for the CUPS
problem.

> Do you really need raster graphics data printout on the dot-matrix
> "report printers"?

Nope, I'm looking for plain text.

> If plain ASCII text is sufficient, have a look at
> http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/06/jsmeix_print-cups-filters.html

Okay, I've taken a look at this document on the SuSE portal.  My first
thought is that this is quite a bit of work to get a simple plain-text
dot-matrix printer to work.  But, I'm willing to dig in and figure it
out.

My first question is that according to the document, I can use recode to
convert the ASCII text to printer-specific code, and it shows how to do
this for IBM PC.  I take it this means IBM emulation mode, is that
correct?  If so, what should I do if I need to use Epson emulation mode?
We have all of our Oki dot-matrix printers set to Epson mode and our
management app is sending escape sequences for report/invoice formatting
based on Epson codes.  Is it simply a matter of using "lat1..epson"
instead of "lat1..ibmpc"?

Second, the printer that I'm testing with to get this set up is
configured as a network printer using IPP.  How would I run the script
to test the character conversion to send the output to a network printer
instead an attached parallel printer (e.g. /dev/lp0)?

If I can provide any additional info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tim