bsd interface stopped working SOLVED

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue May 10 10:36:36 PDT 2005

> I had installed cups on Debian woody and it worked fine.
> Yesterday I realized lpr and lpq did not work any more.
> Test page from localhost:631/printers worked, nothing else did.
> The admin interface could not be brought up either, but kept
> % of CPU time. Upgraded to cups from debian testing, admin interface
> works now, test page prints, but lpq, lpstat, lpr, and qtcups just
> hang there without returning the prompt. Set log level to debug2,
> no output to error_log at all when I use any of the bsd commands.
> Test page still prints.
>
> Any suggestions?

I solved my problem: the client.conf file contained a ServerName line,
referring to a machine with a local printer attached. When I commented
it out everything went back to normal. Apparently something went wrong
with that printer. I am still puzzled that this should have affected the
unrelated network printer, which was moreover the default. Is that a bug?