Print to a printer connected to a router

Johan anonymous at easysw.com
Tue May 10 14:43:02 PDT 2005

Hi!

> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 09:55 -0400, Anonymous wrote:
> > I hava e printer connected directly to the router Netgear fwg314p.
> >
> > The printer is a HP laserjet 1010.
>
> Does this printer have an internal JetDirect card?  If so, then it
> should be as simple as selecting "AppSocket/JetDirect" when setting up
> the print queue on the Linux box (if you're using the web interface for
> CUPS).  If you're using lpadmin, you can use "-v ipp://hostname/ipp/" or
> "-v lpd://hostname/printer-name".
>
> For example:
> lpadmin -p <printer-name> -v ipp://hostname/ipp -E -P /path/to/ppd/file
> or
> lpadmin -p <printer-name> -v lpd://hostname/printer-name -E
> -P /path/to/ppd/file
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Tim

I am not quite sure but I don't think there is a jetdirect card in the printer. It is connected to the router through an usb-port.

I have another printer that one can assign ip-adress to and there it is possible to write directly. But this printer is made for desktop use...

I am not sure exactly if I understand your advice.

The router have an ip-adress of 192.168.0.11. The printer is called Laserjet1010. Should I write:
lpadmin -p Laserjet1010 -v ipp://192.168.0.11/Laserjet1010 -E -P /etc/cups/ppd/laserjet1010.ppd

??

/Johan