trying to make a file-URI fails: "client-error-not-possible"

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Tue May 10 15:25:49 PDT 2005

I tried to generate a file backend on cups 1.1.18 and 1.1.22. Both with
CUPS-html-tool. Both failed with:  "client-error-not-possible".

The I generated a CUPS queue by taking somewhat backend, e.g.
/dev/usblp0. I edited /etc/cups/printers.conf and changed
DeviceURI usb:/dev/usb/lp0  to   DeviceURI file:/tmp/print.prn
and it works! I can cat the print.prn to somewhat printer (e.g. a
windows machine by using smbclient .... /tmp/print.prn) without fearing
that cups disables the queue! And without fearing that there are several
job in a queue so that my customers call me to clean the queue!
Wonderful!! Hope that helps YOU to make CUPS (and linux) usable!

Why is CUPS-html-config.-tool not able to create file-URI's?

tia
Ekkard