lp and spool directort

John johnf at comm.mot.com
Wed May 11 11:30:59 PDT 2005

Hi, I'm new to CUPS, just downloaded and compiled it today, and am working with it on Solaris (9). I have a spot on a production machine where I downloaded and compiled it, then I tarred it all up and moved it to a test machine, where I'm playing with it. I changed all the entries in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file from the defaults (which contained the path where I compiled it, which doesn't exist on my test machine) to /opt/cups/... (which is where I put it on my test machine).

cupsd seems to be fine - it's running, I can see printers on the network, I can create new printers, and the Web gui is working (after proper edits to the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file). However, when I actually try to print, using CUPS' "lp" command, it complains :

lp: unable to create temporary file "/open_source/bin-sun/cups/var/spool/cups/tmp/42824afbd4415" - No such file or directory

This path that it's looking for doesn't exist on my test machine (it's the path where I compiled it on the other machine).

So, my question is, where does "lp" get its spool path info from ? Is this compiled in, or is there a config file somewhere that I'm missing ?

     Thanks,

         John