[cups.general] Printer escp2-c84 is not a known model,

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Thu May 12 05:27:58 PDT 2005

Klaus Singvogel wrote:

> SUSE Linux 8.2 is really, really old. If you have a closer look at the
> update tree at SUSE's ftp server, you might even notice that security
> updates for 8.2 will soon discontinue. So, this argument might let you
> do the step toward a newer Linux version either? :-)

Klaus, you might have heard of http://www.data-vital.de. Suse 8.2 was
the standard until start of this year. About 3000 medicine offices are
running with Suse 8.2 (update to 8.2 was forced because of java, java is
necessary for a test module that was delivered by german state, health).
Because of special keytab functions (F1, F2, ... shift-F1, ....) that
are changed in nearly every Suse Distrib. only few distrib. are
complient with "david"-software of Data-Vital. Suse 8.2 will not be
updated the next 5 year in thousands of offices. It's like with Windows.
Most of our customers with Win-Clients have Win98. And Win98 is 7 years
old!!!! In your terms: really, really, really, really, really old. But
it's working, drivers for e.g. printers are updateable and running, etc.

Please tell me, what the business should do if we want deliver und
support Suse Linux.
Okay, we can buy turboprint. I'm using turboprint already. But I hoped
to be able to udate CUPS. I thought CUPS would be a modern printing
system an the solution would be "ppd"-file. Obviously it's not. Okay, I
can tell my Customers to buy PCL printer only. But which of the
ink-printer are PCL? Nearly none.

Can Suse please present a concept for support of older Suse
distributions? - Not for home users, but for commercials. And
commercials pay for updates ...

What about leaving server as server and update clients every 2 years? -
Our customers wouldn't accept this, too expensive, nearly worse that M$!

Modern concepts with ThinClient an NetPC's (I'm already running about 20
ThinClient in my customers offices, now I'm realising NetPC. It's worth
it because of less administration work. But what about Support for
Update of some features? - Since 3 months Data-Vital has allowed to use
Suse 9.2 for "david". This will rest the standard for this and  some
months the next year.

regards
Ekkard
day