How to send EOT (\004) and the end of PS job

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu May 12 06:24:56 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am having problem with printing PS in a new Lexmark T430 printer. After a PS file gets printed, the printer shows "Waiting" for about 20 seconds and only then shows "Ready" and can print another job.

After some experiments I have found that it requires the EOT code (\004) to be sent after the job to mark its end. It seems, however, that the CUPS ignores completely the "Send End-of-Transmission (EOT)" setting in the printer configuration (printtool a.k.a. system-config-printer in Linux FC2). Checking or unchecking the appropriate box in the "driver options" panel does not change anything. Also, when I temporarily changed the device to print to a file (/tmp/lp), it did not show any \004 at the end.

I am not sure whether this is Fedora's printtool or CUPS problem. It would be helpful, however, if somebody could tell me where and how should the CUPS configuration be set that the EOT should be sent at the end of a PS job.

regards, Michal.

PS. The versions of packages I use are:
cups-1.1.20-11.9
foomatic-3.0.1-3