lp and spool directort

John johnf at comm.mot.com
Thu May 12 11:34:39 PDT 2005

> John wrote:
> > lp: unable to create temporary file
> > "/open_source/bin-sun/cups/var/spool/cups/tmp/42824afbd4415" - No
> > such file or directory
> >
> > This path that it's looking for doesn't exist on my test machine
> > (it's the path where I compiled it on the other machine).
> >
> > So, my question is, where does "lp" get its spool path info from ? Is
> > this compiled in, or is there a config file somewhere that I'm
> > missing ?
>
> The error you are seeing can be avoided by setting the TMPDIR
> environment variable, e.g.:
>
>      TMPDIR=/tmp; export TMPDIR
>
> When TMPDIR is not set, the CUPS temp file code will use a default
> value - "CUPS_REQUESTS/tmp" for the root account and "/var/tmp" for
> all other accounts.
>
> --
> Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com

Michael -

(Hmm - I thought I posted this already, but I didn't see it show up on the forum listing, so I'm doing it again - apologies if it shows up twice...)

thanks - that was the answer I was looking for - I tried it and it worked OK.

I have another question for you that I'll post in a separate thread.

    John