How to send EOT (\004) and the end of PS job

Michal Szymanski msz at astrouw.edu.pl
Fri May 13 00:19:10 PDT 2005

> Anonymous wrote:
> > *cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
> > ..
> > *FoomaticRIPCommandLine: "cat %A%Z"
>
> OK, REMOVE THIS JUNK!
>
> Just use the standard PPD file.  Foomatic causes far more problems
> than it solves...

What do you mean by 'standard PPD'? I am also exprimenting with my printer (Lexmark T430) configured as T616 (closest entry in the configuration tool). The PPD file generated for T616 says:

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
*FoomaticRIPCommandLine: "level=%D; printf "%%!\n%%%% %%%%\n%C&qu&&
ot;; if (( $level > 0 )); then if (( $level < 99 )); then level=&&
" -dLanguageLevel=$level"; else level=""; fi; gs -&&
q -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite$level%A%Z -sOutpu&&
tFile=- -; else cat; fi"

I am not sure how to decipher all those if-s but from what I see in the output (when the device is set to a file instead of the printer), for PS jobs it just cat-s them. So the original problem with the job end persists unless I manually add
/bin/echo -en "\004";
just before the last 'fi' in the above command line.

Michal