[cups.general] Re: How to send EOT (\004) and the end of PS job

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri May 13 06:43:56 PDT 2005

Hello,

a bit off topic...

On May 13 12:57 Till Kamppeter wrote (shortened):
> ... if only a PPD file is submitted to linuxprinting.org,
> a printer entry in the database will be generated automatically.

Great!
I assume it works based upon the manufacturer and model strings
and therefore it would work even for non-PostScript printer PPDs
in particular for Foomatic-compatible PPDs which are external
generated (e.g. at printer manufacturers)?

> > > Foomatic causes far more problems than it solves...

I disagree.

Without Foomatic we would not have switched to CUPS when we did it
because when we switched to CUPS, it was Foomatic which provided
the same support for all those various kind of cheap little inkjet
printers which had worked before with the various kind of Ghostscript
drivers (up to the various weird postfilters).

One might call Foomatic a (perhaps complicated) workaround for
a native CUPS driver but I think it is much better to accept such
a workaround than having no support at all when there is no native
CUPS driver available.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de