[cups.general] Re: How to send EOT (\004) and the end of PS job

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 13 07:55:17 PDT 2005

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a bit off topic...
>
> On May 13 12:57 Till Kamppeter wrote (shortened):
>
>>... if only a PPD file is submitted to linuxprinting.org,
>>a printer entry in the database will be generated automatically.
>

> Great!
> I assume it works based upon the manufacturer and model strings
> and therefore it would work even for non-PostScript printer PPDs
> in particular for Foomatic-compatible PPDs which are external
> generated (e.g. at printer manufacturers)?

FWIW, we already have this in place on the CUPS site, and the PPD
database is available via Subversion...

     http://www.cups.org/ppd.php
     http://svn.easysw.com/public/ppd/trunk/

> I disagree.
>
> Without Foomatic we would not have switched to CUPS when we did it
> because when we switched to CUPS, it was Foomatic which provided
> the same support for all those various kind of cheap little inkjet
> printers which had worked before with the various kind of Ghostscript
> drivers (up to the various weird postfilters).

I agree that Foomatic helps for older printers that are only supported
via a Ghostscript-based driver, however the current version also
attempts to support all PostScript printers, too, and often leads to
problems...  All you have to do is look at the number of problems
people report in the Foomatic drivers vs. say the sample drivers in
CUPS or the native Gimp/Gutenprint drivers.

In short, I liked Foomatic when it was a reliable wrapper for non-PS
Ghostscript drivers.  It did one thing, and it did it well.