SysV Options xfered to remote queue

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri May 13 09:23:39 PDT 2005

bernd at rhm.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are using CUPS as System-V printing system. We have our own interface scripts in /etc/cups/interfaces which are called from cupsd. Everything woks great except one thing. When we start a printjob with 'lp -dprinter -ooption1 -ooption2 file' the options are passed to our interface script in parameter #5 if it is a local printer, fine! But when the print queue is on a remote system (lpd://system:515/queue) the options are not passed to our script on the remote side.
>
> Is this a bug, a feature our a missing definition in the IPP?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Bernd Rieke

If the remote system is running a cupsd as well, the jobs are
transferred to the remote system
using the IPP protocol, and all the options (even nonstandard options)
are transferred to the
remote system.

But if the job transfer to the remote system goes by LPD protocol, the
options are lost.
See RFC 1179 for dtails.

Helge

--