UNIX Spooler

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat May 14 09:05:36 PDT 2005

bert fukuda wrote:

> We have a Solaris 8 print server setup and would like to get all of our linux boxes to spool though it.  What's the best way to accomplish this?

Install CUPS on your Solaris box. You'd have to compile it from sources;
the guys at sunfreeware.com
are THINKING about compiling a binary CUPS package. Get the gcc package
from sunfreeware.com, even
if you have the SUN compiler (as that is somewhat more paranoide on
warnings and errors than gcc).

If this is not an option for you, you'd have to cinfigure all printers
of your solaris box
as LPD driven printers on each of your Linux boxes, and you'll lack all
the nice features of CUPS.
The native spooler on Solaris is still the good old SysV spooler.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung