Xerox 8400 printing b+w with colour consumables

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu May 19 08:15:48 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm running a cups server from cups 1.1.22 on Scientific Linux 4 and printing from other linux clients.
> > >
> > > Our Xerox 8400 color printer (using the Xerox supplied ppd file) is using colour consumables to print most black and white files instead of the
> > > black ink consumable.
> > >
> > > What I'd like to happen is for colour postscript files to print in colour and black and white postscript files to print using the black ink only without the user having to specify whether to print in black and white or colour.
> > >
> > > I notice that printing plain text files does seem to use only black ink, so the problem seems to be particular to postscript documents.
> > >
> > > Can anyone suggest how to obtain the desired behaviour for black and white postscript files.
> > >

> > Where do those jobs come from? And could you post (an URL to) a sample
> > file? It may be there is a chance
> > to print in b/w if the color components (be it RGB or CMY) are all
> > equal.
> >
> > Helge
> >

> Helge
>
> Thanks for your reply. I've put an example file at: http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~rmj/pgplot.ps
>
> That file was made by the pgplot plotting package, but there are also files from dvips that use the colour consumables to render black print.
>
> Roderick

I just downloaded the PPDs for those 8400 printers. It seems that what I
suggested in my previous post
isn't as easy as I thought (the PPDs already contain a job patch file
....), but using the
command line option "-o XRXColor=BW" (without the quotes) or equivalent
should switch to b/w
printing. Anything else I don't dare to propose as I haven't such a
printer at hand to play with.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke