[cups.general] Device URI auto changed, usb printer

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu May 19 10:45:45 PDT 2005

It seems that the Mandrakelinux version on your girlfriend's box is
rather old. More recent CUPS (and Mandrakelinux versions) use
model/serialnumber-specific URIs for USB printers. Then a queue is
always bound to a specific printer and so a printer will also work after
reboot when gets assigned to another device. The newest release,
Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 also re-enables USB printer queues when
connecting the printer or booting. This solves the problem of a queue
being disabled when the printer was turned off.

    Till