[cups.general] Printing from Tiger

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri May 20 06:14:45 PDT 2005

David Schlenk wrote:

> I've asked this on the Apple Printing forum, but haven't had much luck
> there.
>
> For as long as OS X has existed we have been forced to use netatalk to
> share printers because there wasn't a good way to have users print in
> any authenticated manner that didn't involve storing their
> username/password in the /etc/cups/printers.conf file (which
> consequently, besides being really bad security-wise, lets anyone else
> with an account on that machine print as the person who set up that
> printer).
>
> Apple was promising something called "secure authenticated printing to
> shared printers" in Tiger, which I was led to believe was actually
> authenticated IPP printing, which is what I've really wanted our
> environment to move to for years, but haven't been able to for lack of
> good support (or support at all) by the major client OSes.
>
> So I got myself a copy of Tiger to test this out, and I can't get it to
> work.  I can see the printers that my CUPS server is broadcasting on
> our network and add them properly.  And when I try to print to one of
> them, it even asks for my username and password, and when entered it
> doesn't store it anywhere that I can find, which is nice, but jobs
> don't print the queue just displays a "client-error-not-authorized"
> error.
>
> I tried fiddling with various authentication settings in the /printers
> Location directive, and the only thing that works is just allowing the
> Tiger machine's IP outright, which at that point satisfies my "satisfy
> any" option and thereby doesn't even try to do the user based
> authentication.
>
> I'm using Basic authentication, but I've also tried using Digest which
> didn't work either.
>
> My question is if there is anyone in CUPS land that might have an idea
> what exactly the Tiger version of CUPS is expecting on the server-side,
> and if anyone has successfully accomplished what I'm trying to do.

Have you ever tried the server variant of the respective MacOS X
version?
Our experience with these systems revealed that a lot of things are
working
with the server version (which is, I think, about $500 per seat) but are
either broken or completely missing in the worstation version (such as
DNS
support etc.). We mostly abandoned MacOS X because of that recently.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung