Cups authentication

Henrique henrique.cicuto at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:51:21 PDT 2005

Good afternoon

I have a Windows 2000k PDC + AD network, and we're experimenting adding linux desktops on it.
So far, I've managed to login with AD users at the linux machine, using samba.
We have our printers installed on a W2k server, and I pretend to use CUPS as printing client on the linux machine.

I configured one of the printers as "windows printer via samba" with the following URL - smb://<server>/<shared_printer>.
But that doesn't seen to work.

When I send the printing job, I check the logs and the job is scheduled to the logged user, but then it says, right next:

"[Job 77] Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE"
"[Job 77] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds..."

And if I try the URL above, but WITHOUT the password, I receive the same error message of the "job 77" example.

I guess it's more than obvious that cups is not receiving the password of the logged user, but I don't know how to do it. Does anyone knows how?
I thank you in advance

PS: a lot of people told me to use the "guest" account, but that is not a valid option in my case for two reasons:
1) The guest account is disabled
2) My boss wants some control of who is doing what