Thanks - Re: [cups.general] Howto force a printer to print

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sun May 22 11:21:55 PDT 2005

Linuxhippy wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Thanks for your patience and all the help!
>
> >And the PPD offers a UI choice to select a color model but offers only
> >RGB mode.
> >Thus, I suspect there is no chance to switch to grayscale mode.
> >
> >BTW, as those printers usually are disigned to work primarily in a
> >Windows environment,
> >it is plausible that they only offer rgb colors on input, as the Windows
> >GDI only knows
> >about RGB colors (and RGB lacks a black channel).
> >

> The strange thing is that bundled with the rpm from canon they
> distributed a tool called printeruii250 which seems like a frontend for
> a configuration-file but its does nothing at all and I don't know why.
> It provides a checkbox for setting the printer mode to grayscale, but as
> I said the tool does _nothing_. (it even doesn't remeber last settings).
>
> Well, I found a configuration-file directly wired with the filter-binary
> and tried to play a bit with it but never made my printer to print
> grayscale.
> I attached it, maybe someone has seen it before and understands the
> magic ;-)
>
> lg Clemens
>
> [...]

I'd suggest to visit
		http://www.turboprint.de
which seem to be the developers of the Linux software to drive these ink
jet printers.
They offer a utility which permits to configure the printer to print b/w
(no gray levels)
or grayscale, but I don't know if they really use only the black ink
then. The printer
uses two ink cartridges: one for black and one for CMY.

The said software cost a license fee, but a free download for testing is
available.

Hope this helps

Helge

PS:
I've no, I ewmphasize, NO relationship whatsoever to the mentioned
company, but on the Canon website
there is a link to a distributor who provides Linux support who links to
the said form for details.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung