Backend process - not to print - but to process the data

Jim Cross jcross at safmt.org
Tue May 24 14:50:32 PDT 2005

We are in the process of migrating our AIX environment over to Linux.  One thing we do quite heavily in AIX is backend processing of data sent to a print queue.  Instead of printing the information, we send the file to directories for further processing, or FTP them to our LAN, etc.  This allows our remote sites to set up print queues pointing back to the corporate office - and have these queues process huge amounts of data.

In AIX in the /etc/qconfig file, the backend statement for normal print processing would look like:

backend = /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piojetd xxx.xxx.xx 9100

whereas if we want a program to accept the file and process it, we might change this to:

backend = /common/bin/lpd/glakesltr

Within CUPS, does the capability to do backend file processing instead of printing a file exist?

Thanks in advance for your ideas....

Jim