[cups.general] Howto avoid that CUPS disable LPD printer

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu May 26 00:52:54 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 03:35:04AM -0400, Dario Lesca wrote:
> If I send a job to a LPD printer (lpd://printServ/port1) and if the
> printer is off, after a lot of minutes CUPS disable the printer.
> When I turn on the printer, CUPS not re-enabled it and I must run, as
> root, /usr/bin/enabled printname or use http://localhost:631/printers whit administrative privilege.
>
> Is possible to avoid the "disable feature" :-( ?

Not for now to my knowledge.

> Or I must install a cron job witch every 5 minutes check if the printer
> is disabled and re-enabled it?

Yes you should.

The very same question appears almost every week here, maybe this could
be fixed and/or made configurable : if CUPS would let an external
command check if printer is ready, this would be really really great !

I'm thinking about something like :

        IsReady /usr/bin/somecommand someargs ...

in printers.conf

"somecommand" would be a command which would return things like
"Idle", "Off", "PowerSave", "Out-of-Paper", pretty much like what is
on the "State" line in printers.conf, would be entirely configurable,
and if not defined then CUPS' default (actual) behavior would apply.

Any comment ?

bye

Jerome Alet