Howto avoid that CUPS disable LPD printer

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu May 26 06:43:09 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

>> CUPS 1.2 adds error policies, such that you can tell CUPS to retry
>> on error, or cancel the job, or stop the printer, etc.
>

> Great! this is a good news, when the 1.2 will released? there is a
> backport patch for enables this feature?

1.2 will be released for production use when it is ready.  We are
close to starting weekly snapshots for people to test with, but
until we have finished the functional improvements, localization,
and testing stuff we won't even guess at a release date.

There is no backport patch for this, and we have no plans of
doing so.  Barring a reported security vulnerability before 1.2
is released, there will be no more 1.1.x releases.

Also, starting with CUPS 1.2 we will be enforcing the "no new
features" part of the CMP for any patch releases - only minor and
major releases will get new features, and we will be doing more
frequent (probably every 9-12 months) feature releases instead of
the current "cram everything into 1.2" mentality.

Two things you can do in the meantime: if your jobs are getting
printed but the printer doesn't follow RFC 1179 and is returning
an error, you can change the backend/lpd.c code to always return
0 from main() to prevent the queue from stopping.

If the jobs aren't getting printed, add the following line to the
end of the PPD file for the affected queue:

     *cupsFax: True

Then restart cupsd (send it a HUP signal or use the init script)
and errors will be retried using the FaxRetryLimit and
FaxRetryInterval values in cupsd.conf.