usability of cups [was: Re: DeviceURI file:/tmp/print.prn with

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Thu May 26 07:51:17 PDT 2005

Helge Blischke wrote:

> Why not writge a script (shell-, perl-, python-, whatever you like)
> around your
> smbclient stuff which behaves as a backend?

Because this backend provokes CUPS to disable the queue if the
smbclient-backend ist not available, isn't?

Because if 5 entries in the queue because my customer has tried to
print for 5 times the same. If the backend works again (e.g. printer is
turned on) 5 copies of the same appear an my customer is angry again ...

Hmmm ... but I could need a backend that writes to file with permissions
666  ;-) .. an thats not worth it, I think.

Ekkard