[cups.general] Dot matrix printer support

Daniel Onidi dan at redferns.com
Fri May 27 18:40:04 PDT 2005

My Company require a driver for some older dot matrix printers -
namely LEXMARK 2390-002 & 2390-003 forms printers.
These units are circa 10 years old & out of production for at least
half a decade!
However - for various reasons - not least "Co. Policy of keeping I.T
budgets low"! - we've got them and they're expected to work!
HOWEVER - previously they've been "driven" from a W2K server via
NETGEAR PRINT SERVERS. Drivers being therefore MS compliant/
likewise the print servers.
NOW we're hoping to migrate serverside to an OSX (Xserver) unit - and
we have to figure out how this newer unit/OS is going to
do the print serving for these units!?
CUPS has been suggested as a possible answer to our prayers - but
will it be?
Anyone out there familiar with these printers/ the issue of migrating
print serving to OSX platform.
thanks for any help offered.