install newer cups version on OsX?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue May 31 19:32:04 PDT 2005

Matt Broughton wrote:
> In article <21479-cups.general at news.easysw.com>,
>  Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
>

>>Maak wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>is it possible to install a newer version of cups on mac os x? In
>>>10.3.9, there's still version 1.1 running...
>>
>>Technically, yes, however you may run into problems since the OSX
>>version has some divergence from the main code tree...
>

> There are also differences in where some items are installed.  For
> example, OS X places items in /usr/bin instead of the default /bin;
> /usr/include instead of /include; /usr/libexec/cups instead of
> /libexec/cups; etc.

Actually, no, that's not how it is at all.

The default is /usr/include, /usr/bin, etc.  OSX is BSD-based, so
the serverbin directory defaults to /usr/libexec/cups, but the
standard configure script handles that already.

The main differences are in the scheduler and the mDNS/Zeroconf
stuff they have added; I hope to get that integrated into CUPS 1.2,
so we'll be more in sync...  Also, Apple's standard filter set is
different than CUPS...