[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1182: Support for ident

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed May 18 10:37:20 PDT 2005

Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 09:05:24PM -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>>First blush - the patch looks reasonable.
>>
>>We'll definitely need to make this a configurable option.
>

> How would you like it to be configured? The various use cases I
> forsee are at least:
>
>  - allow *only* ident auth
>  - try ident and fallback to basic/digest
>  - try basic/digest and fallback to ident

No, by "configured" I mean we need to conditionally compile the
ident support in, using a combination of configure tests and
configure options (i.e. "--enable-ident", "--disable-ident",
and/or "--with-ident=/foo") so that the build doesn't fail on
systems without <ident.h> and the corresponding library...

>>Also, I don't have an <ident.h> header - what software would be
>>required to use ident authentication?
>

> Ah, sorry. It depends on Peter Eriksson's libident - the default in
> Debian which I'm using. The package says it was downloaded from:
> ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/ident/libs but I'm currently getting
> "No route to host" :(

Ditto.