[cups.development] CUPS 1.2 snapshot

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon May 30 05:24:21 PDT 2005

Jerome Alet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since I saw the announcement on cups.org's homepage, I've downloaded
> the 1.2 snapshot, and quickly gave a look at the backends' code.
>
> It seems that only the IPP backend is able to wait for the
> printer to finish printing before returning, using a dedicated
> option.
>
> Is a similar functionnality planned for other backends as well ?
> (I understand that the IPP backend uses the IPP protocol for this,
> and this is not doable with IPP for other backends)
>
> This would be GREAT !
>
> bye
>
> Jerome Alet

There is no general solution for other backends. See the hpnpf backend
(links on the CUPS
wqeb site) for an example how it may work with printers that support
PJL, but recently
I got a printer that pretends to support that but closes the connection
just when the
last byte of the job has been received by the PS interpreter.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung