[cups.general] Prevent cups from scanning local printers ?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Nov 2 00:36:12 PST 2005

Hello,

On Oct 31 11:13 Anonymous wrote (shortened):
> I'm trying to run cupds for printing from my RedHat to a Windows printers.
> This works fine, however, it seems that when it starts, cpus scans avery USB
> ou parallel port, searching for connected printers.

Either remove the backends which you don't use or remove only
the execute permissions for the backends which you don't use.

It is not possible to configure the standard CUPS backends
to scan for example only the first USB port or only the first
parallel port (if you have additional parallel ports).
You would have to use a selfmade USB or parallel port backend
in this special case.

For background information see the CUPS documentation
in particular in the "CUPS Software Programmers Manual"
the sections "Writing Filters" and "Writing Backends"
and see the man page "man backend" and have a look at
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/jsmeix_print-cups-in-a-nutshell.html
"The Backends"

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner