[cups.general] Problems with Cups to select a Slot/Pit

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Nov 2 01:44:15 PST 2005

Hello,

On Nov 1 08:41 cups-forum at brechmann.org wrote (shortened):
> We want to Print from Windows XP over Samba and Cups to some
> LexMark T630 Printers.
> The Samba Print is OK. But we can´t Select the right Slot/Pit.
> I make 2. Printers, but they print both to the 1. PrintSlot/Pit.
> I fond the Config-Site on my Cups-Server and select the 2. Slot/Pit
> on the 2. Printer, but the printer use always the 1. PrintSlot/Pit.

When you print via Samba the "usual" way then you have the
printer-specific printer driver installed on teh Windows systems.

The driver produces printer-specific data which is then sent via
SMB protocol to Samba which makes a print job for CUPS and all
what CUPS does with printer-specific data is to sent it directly
to the printer.

I.e. there is no filtering done for printer-specific data
on the CUPS system and therefore it is useless to configure
filtering related stuff (like the default slot) on the CUPS system.

You must configure it where the printer driver runs (i.e. on the
Windows systems).

For more information see for example:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Nov/1186.html

> is there a Germen Speeking Company where we can get Consulting Service?

I don't know about such a company ;-)
http://support.novell.com/linux/index.html

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner