print to windows share but authenticate usersdifferently

Erik Sjölund erik.sjolund at home.se
Wed Nov 2 06:12:11 PST 2005

Thanks for your quick reply!

> Yes, but all jobs are "authenticated as him" only regarding the Samba
> authentication.

Of course, but the windows server ( which is out of my control ) may have a quota per user regarding the number of printed papers.

> The solution is to do the user authentication in CUPS:
> Specify appropriate authentication settings in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> for appropriate "Location(s)", see the "CUPS Software Administrators
> Manual".
>
> This way the CUPS printing dialog tools (e.g. "lp", "kprinter",
> "gtklp", "xpp") can do the user authentication directly with the user
> who submits the print job when he submits the print job (and not
> after the job was submitted).

I don't quite follow ...

If there is only one printer, should I then for each user create a new printer queue that uses the user's windows username and windows password?

In order to block misuse by other users, I could then require some local unix authorization like,

<Location /printers/personal_printing_queue>
</Location>

so that the users only are allowed access to their own printing queue.

---

Or maybe what you mean is that I should try to get kprinter to ask for the user's windows password and then pass it further somehow ...

cheers,
Erik