[cups.general] print to windows share but authenticate users differently

Matt Hull mhull1 at uic.edu
Wed Nov 2 07:06:38 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Nov 1 10:20 Erik Sjölund wrote (shortened):
> > DeviceURI smb://user:password@server/printer
> > But if the users on the linux computer each have their own account
> > on the windows server, which username should you use? There need to be
> > one user who would allow all print jobs to get authenticated as him.
>
> Yes, but all jobs are "authenticated as him" only regarding the Samba
> authentication.
>
> > Is there a nice trick to let every user print authenticated as themselves?
>
> The problem is that when the smb backend runs, it cannot open
> a dialog with the user who had submitted the print job to do the
> authentication regarding Samba because the backend runs as user "lp"
> (or "root" if cupsd runs as root) and in general it is not possible
> that the user "lp" opens a dialog with another user.
> Additionally the job may have to wait several hours in the queue
> until it becomes processed and in the meantime the user who had
> submitted the job may have logged out.
>
> The solution is to do the user authentication in CUPS:
> Specify appropriate authentication settings in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> for appropriate "Location(s)", see the "CUPS Software Administrators
> Manual".
>
> This way the CUPS printing dialog tools (e.g. "lp", "kprinter",
> "gtklp", "xpp") can do the user authentication directly with the user
> who submits the print job when he submits the print job (and not
> after the job was submitted).

is it possible that cups can save the passwd for the job and pass it when
requested?

i run a cups (local spooler) on my desktop and print to my server with
cups.  but i wanted to have the server request user name and passwd.  but
i need the local server to ask for password to send to the server.  or
save a key or something, i guess like ssh can.

matt