[cups.general] 'Lock printer until my job is done' feature?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 3 07:49:27 PST 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 03:56, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Nov 2 19:08 Daniel Kasak wrote (shortened):
>> We've got an Epson R1800 printer

>> Is there any way that a user can lock the print queue for everyone
>> except themselves, then go and put their paper in the printer,
>> submit their job, and then unlock the queue?
>
>The right way to do this is to select "Manual Feed" as paper source
>for the print job.
>This way a normal printer will stop when the job arrives at the
>printer until a user has pushed a button on the printer or until
>there is paper in the manual feed tray.

More than likely, given the no paper in tray scenario, the printers I
use, Epsons, will need a clear the outofpaper error button pushed after
paper has been loaded into the tray. At least thats the scene when my
C82 is out of paper and flashing the top buttons led at me.  I'd druther
it had a low level beep to go with that but...  And often, I'll have to go
into the web server <http://localhost:631> and re-enable the printer
too.  That seems like a needless irritation, but thats how it works.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)