Anonymous User Job Control

ajg112 at ohm.york.ac.uk ajg112 at ohm.york.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 04:11:58 PST 2005

I've being using a cups based print server in my lab for a while. After upgrading the server I took the oppurtunity to improve the cupsd configuration.

Here's the problem. Lab members have never been able to cancel jobs once they've been sent. Printer access is anonymous, so anyone can print without issuing credentials . I really don't want to have to add lots of users to the print server. It's a pain to get them to change passwords, and they forget them. So open access works well. But I can't find any way to have a similarly open job control scheme.

Surely there is some way to configure cups to allow anyone to cancel jobs, independent of who the job is owned by.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this problem. I've done a lot of googling, document reading, head scratching and have failed to find an answer.

Many Thanks
Andy