Troff files are not formatted

Walt Meier cupsprint at spambob.net
Sat Nov 5 17:02:41 PST 2005

I'm still working on getting CUPS working for me on my Slackware 10.2
system.  Made a great deal of progress, but I'm not done yet.

I have a troff formatted file, call it troff_file.  If I run

    file -i troff_file

 I get this output:

    troff_file: text/troff; charset=us-ascii

If I run "lpr troff_file", the file is printed out as a straight ASCII file: the troff macros are not evaluated.  I can run groff -mm -S -Tps troff_file directly and it prints out fine.

Shouldn't "lpr" itself figure that out?  Or I am supposed to have to call groff
myself directly?

I looked at /etc/cups/mime.convs and /etc/cups/mime.types, and there is no
entry in either of those files for mime type text/troff.  Is there supposed to be one?

Walt Meier