Troff files are not formatted

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Nov 5 20:28:59 PST 2005

Walt Meier wrote:
> I'm still working on getting CUPS working for me on my Slackware 10.2
> system.  Made a great deal of progress, but I'm not done yet.
>
> I have a troff formatted file, call it troff_file.  If I run
>
>     file -i troff_file
>
>  I get this output:
>
>     troff_file: text/troff; charset=us-ascii
>
> If I run "lpr troff_file", the file is printed out as a straight ASCII file: the troff macros are not evaluated.  I can run groff -mm -S -Tps troff_file directly and it prints out fine.
>
> Shouldn't "lpr" itself figure that out?  Or I am supposed to have to call groff
> myself directly?
>
> I looked at /etc/cups/mime.convs and /etc/cups/mime.types, and there is no
> entry in either of those files for mime type text/troff.  Is there supposed to be one?

No, we don't include one, mainly because there is no way to determine
which macro package to use.

That said, it would be trivial to add one to your local installation -
just add troff.types and troff.convs files to the /etc/cups directory,
and create a filter script that runs groff...

man mime.types
man mime.convs
man filter