Optra E310 bad printer

Drew Einhorn drew at technteach.com
Sun Nov 6 14:02:43 PST 2005

Hi,

My Lexmark Optra E310 appears to have a buggy postscript interpreter.

Lexmark tech support is useless.  One more reason to never buy another
Lexmark printer.

Anyway when trying to print from pdf files I get blinking a blinking
light on the printer and no output.  If I send ehandler.ps from adobe I
do get an error page, which always mentions a CID font.

The pdfs in question display perfectly on the screen.  I just cant
print.  If I try fussing with the printer configuration driver options
for prerendering I can avoid the CID error, but graphic images that
render perfectly fine on the screen are solid black on the printer.

Searching the web I found someone who seemed to solve his problems by
printing as PCL instead of postscript.  I'm using Acrobat 7.0 on Fedora
Core 4.  I don't have a PCL option.  I'm guessing I have to lie about
the configuration and say I have some kind of PCL only printer then let
Acrobat generate PCL and have the printer driver render it into
postscript and send it to the printer.  Any ideas on how to actually
accomplish this, or maybe a better idea for a short term solution.

For a longer term solution.  Any suggestions on a good reliable printer.
The cheap plastic mass market printers break after a couple months, and
it's too expensive to keep on replacing them and the ink cartridges are
way to expensive for too few pages.