How to force letter printing of A4 postscript

unruh at physics.ubc.ca unruh at physics.ubc.ca
Mon Nov 7 19:49:53 PST 2005

I have an HP 2300 printer, and, since I live in Canada, we only have Letter size paper. Unfortunately being a university, we get articles from Europe who keep producing postscript files in A4 format. This is hopeless, as the printer keeps demanding that we load in A4 paper and sits there waiting (you cannot cancel the job because some bug in the printer keeps reprinting the first page forever if you cancel.)

Ie, I want ALL documents to be converted to letter size. No matter what the ps document says, I want letter output. However this seems to be impossible under cups. I have removed all references to A4 in the ppd file for the printer, removed the /etc/cups/ppds.dat and restarted cups, but still this A4 stuff goes on. Sometimes in fact the print job will change the default on the printer itself to A4 from letter.

How in the world to I ensure that cups changes everything to letter size?
(Yes, I have DefaultSize as letter and all other defaults as letter in the ppd files.)