[cups.general] cups hanging when initializing backend

Hatto von Hatzfeld hatto at usenet.salesianer.de
Tue Nov 8 01:16:04 PST 2005

Hatto von Hatzfeld wrote:

> [...]

[...]

> What is wrong?

In order to help others I want to tell my solution:

At first doing a

~> pstree | grep cups

I got to see:

     ??cupsd???cupsd???serial

which means that the probe on the serial port was hanging (and not the
parallel port as I assumed) - and it never stopped hanging until shutdown,
so cups did not even start its normal work. This happened with my cups 1.1,
while I have been told that this issue has been changed in 1.2.

My simple solution for cups 1.1 is to disable the serial backend (which I do
not need), doing a

~> chmod a-x /usr/lib/cups/backend/serial

I hope that this does not have any side effects...

Ciao,
Hatto

--
.... und überhaupt, wenn man bedenkt, dass die Leute vor 150 Jahren
ihre E-Mails noch bei Kerzenlicht geschrieben haben...