[cups.general] Problems with CUPS and OKI C3200N in raw mode

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Nov 9 01:41:27 PST 2005

Hello,

On Nov 8 14:16 Uwe Dierolf wrote (shortened):
> We've bought a new color laserprinter, OKI C3200N.
> It's an GDI printer. We had the hope that we could use it via
> CUPS using the raw mode

"raw" mode means no filtering i.e. no conversion of the original
data which is to be printed into printer specific data (i.e. into
something which the printer "understands").

Therefore "raw" mode cannot work to print on a printer which doesn't
understand a known printer language.

See for example
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/1998/06/ke_printer-gdi.html
and
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2000/08/jsmeix_print-kompatibel.html

As
http://www.okidata.com/mkt/html/nf/C3200nSpec.html
reads only
"Compatibility: Enhanced Windows Printing"
it seems hopeless to use this piece of hardware with an operating
system which is based upon open standards (in particular well
known printer languages).

For example the C5400 seems to suppport PCL (make sure it has
built-in PCL suppport in the printer and not via Windows driver)
and an optional "PostScript 3 option board", see
http://www.okidata.com/mkt/html/nf/C5400Spec.html
Note that for color printing PCL may be not sufficient
(e.g. limited quality only up to 300dpi) so that you
may have to use the optional PostScript module.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de