Problem with NTLM printing to Windows erver

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Nov 9 06:34:56 PST 2005

Frank wrote:
> I am looking for the correct way to print to a Windows server with
> IPP using NTLM/DIGEST authentication. I know Kerberos is not
> supported yet.
>
> Browsing through the code of backend/ipp.c and http_send() i don't
> see any authentication logic except SSL but perhaps i lost track in
> the source ?

The current authentication code can be found in cups/auth.c.

Right now, we support Basic, Digest, and Local authentication.

"Basic" and "Digest" are the standard auth mechanisms from RFC 2617.

"Local" is a CUPSism and refers to locally-generated authentication
certificates.  As its name implies, it only works over local
connections (localhost in CUPS 1.1.x, plus domain sockets and ::1
in CUPS 1.2.x) and requires that you have access to one of the
certificate files in /etc/cups/certs (CUPS 1.1.x) or
/var/run/cups/certs (CUPS 1.2.x).

We have plans (after CUPS 1.2 is released) to add Kerberos support
via GSSAPI.  If you can come up with the code to support NTLM/DIGEST
in the cupsDoAuthentication() function, feel free to provide a patch
at:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php