IPP Client Authorization

Laszlo Varkonyi vlsoft at root.hu
Thu Nov 10 07:09:13 PST 2005

When I install a printer in Windows XP, XP asks for an username and password. If the printer was installed before wanting password authentication for the CUPS server, then you can edit the port properties of the Windows client; to do this Right click in Printers folder, select "Server Properties" then choose the Ports tab, select the port which name starts with "http://" and ends with your printer's name, and choose Configure...  It pops up a window where you can specify username and password.

For linux clients: you can use url-s in this form:
http://username:password@cups.server.name:631/printers/yourprintername

For faulty windows clients i posted a message asking for help, but i'm making a solution too, check out the thread named "IPP printing problems on some Windows XP clients" (in cups.general)

Good luck!!!