Adding Printers On 2nd System Adds Entries on Servers

denvid at thewanderinghermit.com denvid at thewanderinghermit.com
Fri Nov 11 22:21:20 PST 2005

I have a small LAN, currently using all Linux systems, but there will be a Windows system added, printing through Samba, later on.  I'm using Debian Sarge.  I installed 2 printers on the server with CUPS and they are working.  I started the CUPS server on my workstation, and it doesn't see the other server, which I can understand.  The server is at 192.168.1.2 and the workstation is at 192.168.1.5.  When I am on the workstation and add the two printers, I am using KDE's Kups administration tool.  I tell it I'm adding a printer on another CUPS server, and go through all the steps (do I really need to add the driver on the workstation when it's on the server?).

Once the printer is added so I can use it from the workstation, on the server, another entry appears.  For example, if the printer is labelled hl1440 on the server, and the same printer is labelled laser on the workstation, then once it is added on the workstation, another entry, laser at 192.168.1.5, is added on the original server.

So why is cups on the server aware of the printer on the workstation, while the workstation is NOT aware of the printers on the server?  And why does the server create a 2nd entry for what is the same printer, just access from another computer?

Thanks for any help on this!

Denvid