printing thru server: testpage prints but nothing else.

wtallman at olypen.com wtallman at olypen.com
Sun Nov 13 22:34:19 PST 2005

Just set up an old box on the LAN.  Not much power, so I decided to use the server to do the lifting for its printing needs.  Consulted all the relevant docs and got to the point where the client (old box) can print a test page from the CUPS admin/printer screen.

I figured that having configured the printer to print a test page from the client through the server should mean it all should work, given all the other experiences I've had with CUPS... wrong...  None of the apps can use the lp command, user can't do it manually via 'cat {filename} > lp0'.  And neither can root.

Both the client and the server are running the same OS (Slackware-10.0).  The server runs the printer just fine from all applications, and the client has an identical setup.  What does the client need configured differently?  Or what am I missing here?

What info do you need?

Thanks,

Bill Tallman