[cups.general] add CUPS job title into /var/log/page_log in Mac OS X Server v.10.4.x

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Nov 14 11:28:26 PST 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 10:41:11AM -0800, Ted Dively wrote:
> Hi all. I've spent a few hours now researching and reading, but I
> can't find any obvious method for telling Mac OS X Server v.10.4.x to
> include the actual job title of a print job in /var/log/page_log. I'd
> really appreciate it if someone(s) could point me in a direction that
> might be helpful. I've got all the CUPS documentation, but none of it
> seems to address my specific need, unless I'm somehow missing it.
> What /var/log/page_log includes is the following:
>
> printer
> user
> job-id (a simple numeric value)
> date-time
> page-number
> num-copies
> job-billing
> hostname
>
> What isn't included in this log, and which would be extremely useful
> is the job title provided by CUPS. If I examine the jobs log in
> http://localhost:631, CUPS tells me the title of the job, e.g.
> "Picture 1.png", but I can't find out how to have /var/log/page_log
> pick up that data. Any hints?

to the best of my knowledge the format of CUPS' page_log files is fixed
and non-configurable.

> If nothing else works, can anyone tell
> me how to get the data in /var/spool/cups to include the number of
> pages printed for each job?

Search www.cups.org for the following software (in alphabetical order) :

        accsnmp
        Jasmine
        pkpgcounter
        PyKota
        Tea4CUPS

all of these are available from the "Links" tab on www.cups.org

Since you use MacOSX, maybe you'd be interested in X2 Print Accounting
as well (find it on Google). This is NOT Free Software though,
but works with CUPS.

bye

Jerome Alet