[cups.general] Is there a way to print from Windows 98 using CUPS?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Nov 17 00:15:01 PST 2005

Hello,

On Nov 16 21:24 Karl Scheel wrote (shortened):
> Lexmark C524dn ... understands both PostScript and PCL.
> However, only the second edition of Windows 98 is supported.
> 1. manually install and set as default any PostScript colour inkjet
> printer driver in Windows (i.e., to yield a dummy PostScript printer),

As the printer understands PostScript it may print o.k. by using
a not exactly matching PostScript printer driver in Windows.

As far as I remember you will find in a Windows system
directory a *.SPP file which is in fact a PPD file for the
PostScript printer driver in Windows.

If it doesn't print by using a not exactly matching PostScript
printer driver in Windows, it may help to edit the Windows PPD file
and remove all unwanted PostScript invocation values and JCL settings
so that the Windows PostScript printer driver should produce generic
PostScript (i.e. without printer specific PostScript and/or JCL stuff).

It may also work when you simply replace the Windows PPD file with
the original Lexmark PPD file.

Finally there is the generic "Adobe PostScript printer driver"
for Windows - see
http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/main.html

You may also have a look at the "longer explanations" in
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Nov/1186.html

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de