[cups.general] printer drivers on AIX

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Nov 17 06:13:41 PST 2005

Stef Coene wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running cups 1.1.23 compiled from source on a AIX 5.3 (I disabled the
> compile of pdftops because I had some errors).
> Cups is working fine and I can print if I configure the printer as a raw
> printer.  But I want to use the supplied laserjet driver.  When I do this,
> this error is logged when printing the test page from the web GUI:
> "Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?"
>
> I installed ghostscript version 8.51 (download from
> http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/packages/ghostscript.html) and I also
> downloaded ghostscript-fonts-std-8.11.tar and installed the fonts
> in /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts.

OK, first mistake - we need the "cups" raster driver, which is not
part of AFPL Ghostscript.  We also need several other changes/fixes
and the pstoraster script, all of which are only provided with ESP
Ghostscript.

So, download and install ESP Ghostscript (current version is 8.15.1)
to fix that problem.

> Actually, I only need a simple driver.  Our development team generates print
> data, but sometimes a CR/LF conversion is needed.  Or a reset at the
> beginning of the print job is needed.  Or some custom PCL code had to be
> added.
> That's all, so maybe this can be done with a custom filter.  Any help is
> appreciated.

That could be done just using an interface script; "man filter" for
details...