How to get a count of sheets used by a print job?

Mario Medina mario at mariomedina.net
Sun Nov 20 00:26:26 PST 2005

Hi! i'm using cups with linux as a print server for windows machines. The windows are using IPP to print (http://address:631/printers/printer), and i wish to control and log the number of sheets of every job, to know how much paper and ink we are using.

First i want to hold every job, i "got" that making the printer queue jobs, but it is stopped, and before starting it i put in hold every job, then start the printer, then unhold the job i wish to print, and then put it in stop again.

But I can't get the number of sheets of the job, then if someone prints 1 job with 1 page is the same that if other person prints 1 job with 100 pages. That's my problem, i need to know how many pages every job has.

How can i do that? What file contains it?

PD: the server (cups) has raw printers, the driver is on the windows machines, using PCL5 (or PCL6) from HP printers.