converting NCR Sys-v serial printer filters to Redhat ES4 usb/parallel/network cups

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sun Nov 20 21:51:32 PST 2005

Hi,

We're currently using a NCR SysV 3.02 server and we have
two printers connected to it - an Okidata 9-pin matrix and
two HP LJ4+ printers. This machine is more than 10 yrs old
so we're getting another Intel box running Redhat Linux ES 4

Both printers are currently connected via serial port and
they have their own filters in /etc/lp/interfaces/[printername]

The filters for the HP LJ4+ look like this (the filter for the
Okidata has similar logic but much simpler):

#* BEGIN *
[set some variable and their esc sequence (raw, noraw, manualfeed)]
[process user options]
copies=$4
opts=$5
for o in $opts
do
    case $o in
    troff|raw) SET="$SET\033E" ;;
    land) SET="$SET\more escape sequences..." ;;
    13cpi) ...
    legal) ...
    mf) ....
    esac
done

[process the files]
while [ $i -le $copies ]
do
        for file in $files
        do
                [more processing - this is where the file is 'cat-ed'
                to the serial device]
        done
        i=`expr $i + 1`
done
#*END*

We are planning on getting a new dot-matrix printer (connected via
usb/parallel port) and a new HP 2500N (connected via network).

The printers are supported by CUPS (I checked the database).

My question is: How can I convert the filter function to our new
printers using CUPS? Here are the different lp commands we use
(there's more but I combined most of the options):
1) lp -s -c -o12cpi -omf -dlj4 -n3 file1 file2 file3
2) lp -c -dlj4 -oraw latex-file.lj

Thanks!
JohnF _jfont1992_ @ _yahoo.com_ (pls. omit space and underline if
replying)