[cups.general] Re: device drop down blank web admin

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 21 08:50:11 PST 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 07:20, Sim Zacks wrote:
>After Cups didn't work, I figured I needed lpd to be running too.
>That also didn't work.
>You're probably right about it being extra, but it is not the
>mitigating factor because it didn't work before I turned lpd on.
>
>I've seen mention that cups must be started on boot up. Does anyone
>know if this is factual or if there is a reason for it or what it must
>be started before? I can't reboot my box before this evening, as it is
>a production server.
>
>Sim

The normal proceedure is to start it at boot time, by linking from
/etc/init.d/cups to whatever runlevel you use.  Its often one of the
last things started, so the link might have been named S99cups in
whatever /etc/rc#.d your runlevel is.

However, there is nothing preventing you from doing a 'service cups
restart' at anytime.  This will usually flush, without completing, any
hung jobs too.