[cups.general] Re: device drop down blank web admin

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 21 08:57:57 PST 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 07:33, watchdog wrote:
>Sim Zacks wrote:
>> I figured out my problem.
>> I didn't have 127.0.0.1 in my /etc/hosts file
>
>OK, I checked that point but it's true that the problem appeared on
>coming back from my summer working place, where my PC had a static IP
>and a specific hostname, different from "localhost". Back at home, I
>changed my /etc/hosts back to something containing :
>
>127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain   summer_hostname
>
>I left the summer_hostname in the aliases, just in case... But still,
> it doesn't work. Is there anything to be done for cupsd to take into
> account the changes in /etc/hosts ?? Should be done automatically, no
> ?

If your /etc/hosts file doesn't have the fullly qualified domain names
of all the machines on your local net, its going to be a problem.
I have 3 machines, so the /etc/hosts file looks like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.71.     domain coyote.den
192.168.1.1     router.coyote.den       router
192.168.71.1    gene.coyote.den         gene
192.168.71.2    amiga.coyote.den        amiga
192.168.71.3    coyote.coyote.den       coyote
192.168.71.4    shop.coyote.den         shop

The amiga is there for historical purposes, its been in the basement
with a dead hard drive for about 5 years now.