[cups.general] cups daemon dying

marc at arctic.net marc at arctic.net
Mon Nov 21 10:17:42 PST 2005

we are running cups on Mac hosts against a linux host running .23.  we are using a
BrowsePoll server directive in the workstation cupsd.conf.  we have started to
notice that in a number of cases we are seeing either the polld command disappear
leaving a /usr/sbin/cupsd -L running or the polld command is still running but
there is no cupsd process running,  and therefore no printers available.

The following appears in the console:

Nov 21 08:17:57 Macintosh /System/Library/CoreServices/mcxd.app/Contents/
MacOS/mcxd: cupsd mach_msg error (ipc/send) timed out

Can someone help us figure out why we are getting these time outs and what we
can do to keep the daemon running during any loss of connection so we don't have
to log in as ladmin to restart the daemon